Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Australia Mine Explosion Kills Two Workers in New South Wales

Australia Mine Explosion Kills Two Workers in New South Wales

Post by : Rameen Ariff

In a tragic turn of events, two workers have died following an underground explosion at a mine in the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW). The Australia mine explosion occurred early Tuesday at the Endeavor mine in Cobar, about 700km northwest of Sydney. This marks the first deadly mine blast in Australia since 2015, making it one of the most devastating incidents in recent years.

According to police reports, emergency services rushed to the site after receiving calls that two people had been critically injured underground. A man in his 60s was declared dead at the scene of the Australia mine explosion, while two women in their 20s were rescued and brought to the surface. One of the women later succumbed to her injuries, while the other was airlifted to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries and shock.

The mine operator, Polymetals Resources, confirmed that all operations at the Endeavor mine have been temporarily suspended following the Australia mine explosion. Executive Chairman Dave Sproule said the company was “shocked and saddened by the tragic incident,” adding, “Our deepest thoughts and condolences go out to the employees’ families, friends, and colleagues during this difficult time.”

Authorities have yet to determine the cause of the explosion. A full investigation is now underway, led by the state’s workplace safety authority. Police are preparing a report for the coroner to establish the exact sequence of events leading to the Australia mine explosion.

Cobar Mayor Jarrod Marsden called it an “absolutely tragic” day for the community, noting that the town’s tight-knit mining families are deeply affected. “The most valuable thing to come out of a mine are the miners, and two families don’t get to see their loved ones anymore,” he said, expressing grief on behalf of the entire community.

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns also offered his condolences, calling the incident “a heartbreaking day for the Cobar community and the entire mining industry.” He emphasized that while mining safety standards have improved over the years, the Australia mine explosion serves as a “sobering reminder of the constant need for vigilance to protect workers.”

The Endeavor mine, which has been a key source of silver, zinc, and lead since 1982, was acquired by Polymetals Resources in 2023. It had been preparing to restart full operations this year after a pause in 2020. The mine includes a 7km decline and a 300m shaft, making it one of the more complex mining structures in NSW.

Fatalities from mine explosions are rare in Australia, with the last recorded incident occurring in Queensland in 2015, according to Safe Work Australia. As investigations continue, the Australia mine explosion has reignited conversations about mine safety, emergency response readiness, and the importance of strict adherence to safety regulations in the mining industry.

The Cobar community, while mourning, has united in offering support to the families of the deceased — a reflection of Australia’s resilient mining spirit and the deep respect held for those who risk their lives to power the nation’s economy.

Oct. 28, 2025 1:15 p.m. 2137

#Global

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More