Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

South Korea-US Drills Cut to Five Days Amid North Korea Tensions

South Korea-US Drills Cut to Five Days Amid North Korea Tensions

Post by : Badri Ariffin

South Korea and the United States have agreed to significantly shorten their annual joint military exercises, reducing the duration of the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) drills from 11 days to five days. The move follows US President Donald Trump's order to substantially reduce American participation in the exercises.

The joint military drills, which began on August 17, will now end on August 21, instead of the previously planned August 27, according to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) and a US Department of Defense official.

The two allies have also agreed to scale back some field-based military training. Several live-training activities have reportedly been cancelled or replaced with computer simulations.

Why Did South Korea and the US Reduce the Military Drills?

The changes were made following a US proposal to adjust both the duration and scope of the annual military exercises. South Korea's JCS said the adjustments would still maintain the key objectives of the drills and ensure military readiness.

South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the allies were also moving to cancel the second phase of the exercise, which was expected to focus on counterattack operations following the initial defensive phase.

However, officials said discussions were still underway over the exact scope of the remaining field manoeuvre training.

A US Department of Defense official said the exercise and related live-training events had been substantially reduced. Some activities have been cancelled, while others have been shifted to simulated training.

The official added that the changes would preserve essential readiness and training objectives.

Trump's Order Behind the Changes

The decision comes just days after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in the US role in the South Korea-US military exercises.

Trump cited his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un while calling for the reduction.

Analysts believe Trump's decision could have several objectives, including encouraging South Korea to move faster on its promised US investments under a trade agreement, shifting attention toward other international challenges and creating space for renewed diplomacy with North Korea.

Ellen Kim, a senior fellow at the Korea Economic Institute of America, described Trump's approach as an attempt to achieve several objectives at the same time.

North Korea Condemns US-South Korea Drills

North Korea has once again criticised the joint military exercises, calling the United States and South Korea "warmongers" and accusing them of increasing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

North Korea's state news agency KCNA reported that Pyongyang would continue exercising what it considers its right to self-defence against military threats from Washington and Seoul.

However, North Korea's latest response did not directly mention Trump's order or the decision to scale back the drills.

Analyst Hong Min of the Korea Institute for National Unification said the fact that Pyongyang issued a commentary instead of a statement from a senior official or a military response could indicate that North Korea wants to keep diplomatic options open.

Trump Seeks Possible Talks With Kim Jong Un

The reduction in the military exercises comes amid reports that the Trump administration is exploring another meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump had asked aides to work toward arranging an in-person meeting with Kim as early as this autumn.

The report also said Trump has discussed the possibility of meeting Kim during a potential November trip to Asia for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Shenzhen, China.

The report has not been independently verified by Reuters, and the White House had not immediately responded to requests for comment about its approach to North Korea or the military exercises.

Trump said on Monday that Kim had responded to his recent outreach, although he did not disclose details about the communication.

China Factor Adds Regional Importance

The changes to the South Korea-US military drills come as Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits South Korea on August 19 and 20.

Wang Yi is expected to hold talks on regional security issues, including developments surrounding the Korean Peninsula. His visit adds another layer of significance to the timing of the changes in the US-South Korea military exercises.

South Korea Says Drills Are Defensive

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung said on Tuesday that the Ulchi exercises are defensive in nature and that Seoul has no intention of attacking North Korea or deliberately increasing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun also told a parliamentary hearing on Wednesday that South Korean and US officials had not been aware of Trump's order in advance.

The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are designed to strengthen the readiness and coordination of South Korean and US forces. North Korea has routinely criticised the drills, describing them as preparations for an invasion, while Seoul and Washington maintain that the exercises are defensive and necessary to respond to potential military threats from Pyongyang.

Aug. 19, 2026 11:23 a.m. 127

#Asia News #South Korea #Global Updates #World News

July Cargo Volume at Port of Los Angeles Hits Second-Highest Record
Aug. 19, 2026 11:38 a.m.
The Port of Los Angeles recorded 960,464 TEUs in July, driven by strong imports and rising consumer demand.
Read More
South Korea-US Drills Cut to Five Days Amid North Korea Tensions
Aug. 19, 2026 11:23 a.m.
South Korea and the US have cut joint military drills from 11 days to five, reducing field training after Trump ordered a major US participation cut
Read More
Kolkata Hotel Fire Kills 9, Including Child, in Major Blaze
Aug. 19, 2026 10:47 a.m.
Nine people, including a child, died in a Kolkata hotel fire. More than 60 were rescued as police investigate the cause and possible safety violations
Read More
Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More