Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Canada Theatres Halt Indian Films After Arson And Shooting Attacks

Canada Theatres Halt Indian Films After Arson And Shooting Attacks

Post by : Rameen Ariff

Ottawa – A movie theatre in Oakville, Ontario, has stopped screening Indian films after it was targeted in two violent attacks within one week. The incidents included an arson attempt and a shooting, forcing Film.ca Cinemas to remove major South Asian titles like Kantara: A Legend Chapter 1 and They Call Him OG from its lineup.

First Attack: Arson Attempt

The first attack took place on September 25 at around 5:20 am. According to police, two suspects carrying red gas cans poured a flammable liquid on the exterior entrance doors of the theatre and set it on fire. The blaze was quickly contained and caused only moderate damage to the outside of the property.

Security camera footage released by Film.ca showed a grey SUV arriving near the theatre around 2 am. A person in a hoodie was seen checking the entrance before leaving. Hours later, two individuals returned in another vehicle, poured fuel from red jerrycans, and lit a fire before escaping.

Police described the first suspect as a white individual wearing black pants, a black hoodie, dark high-top shoes, gloves, and a medical mask. The second suspect wore black pants, a black hoodie, white socks with slip-on sandals, gloves, and a mask, while holding a mobile phone.

Second Attack: Shooting Incident

A week later, on October 2, the theatre faced a second attack when a gunman fired several rounds through its entrance doors at around 1:50 am. Investigators described the shooter as a dark-skinned male with a heavy build, dressed entirely in black and wearing a face mask.

Authorities believe both attacks were targeted but have not confirmed a motive. Some local sources claimed the violence could be linked to Khalistani extremist groups, though police have not provided any evidence of such involvement.

Theatre’s Response

Jeff Knoll, CEO of Film.ca Cinemas, initially said that the theatre would continue to show South Asian movies despite the attacks. In a social media video, he explained that only the entrance had been damaged and the rest of the cinema was safe for visitors.

However, in a later statement issued on Thursday, the theatre confirmed that screenings of Indian films would be withdrawn for safety reasons. The statement read:
“Evidence seems to show that the participation in the exhibition of South Asian films has led to these incidents at our theatre and other theatres across the GTA. While we do not wish to bow to threats, the situation has escalated, and we must take every precaution to protect our community.”

Currently, the theatre’s official website shows no South Asian films in its screening list.

Other Theatres Follow Suit

The violent incidents have also affected other theatres in the region. York Cinemas, another popular theatre in Canada, announced that it would also cancel all Indian movie screenings until further notice.

In its statement, York Cinemas said:
“Due to recent incidents, we will not be screening Indian movies. The safety of our employees and guests remains our top priority. Advance ticket purchases will be refunded, and the refunded amount will reflect in your account within a few business days.”

Ongoing Investigation

Halton police continue to investigate both incidents and have urged anyone with information to contact the District Criminal Investigations Bureau. Authorities believe the attacks were deliberate and are seeking public help in identifying the suspects.

The suspension of Indian films like Kantara: A Legend Chapter 1 and They Call Him OG has left many moviegoers disappointed, while the South Asian community in Canada has expressed concern over rising threats against cultural events.

Oct. 3, 2025 10:42 a.m. 1891

#world news #Global News

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More