Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Hong Myung-bo Accepts Full Responsibility for World Cup Exit

Hong Myung-bo Accepts Full Responsibility for World Cup Exit

Post by : Badri Ariffin

Former South Korea national football team head coach Hong Myung-bo told lawmakers on Thursday, July 30, that he accepts complete responsibility for the country's early exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Hong appeared before the South Korean parliament's Sports and Culture Committee during a hearing examining the actions of the Korea Football Association (KFA). The session took place after he resigned following South Korea's elimination from the tournament.

Hong Says Results Are His Responsibility

Speaking during the hearing, Hong acknowledged that the team's performance did not meet expectations and said the responsibility rested with him as head coach.

"I was the head coach, and that's a position that is ultimately judged by results," Hong said.

He added that because South Korea failed to progress beyond the group stage at the 48-team FIFA World Cup hosted by Mexico, the United States, and Canada, he accepted full responsibility for the outcome.

South Korea Eliminated After South Africa Defeat

South Korea's World Cup campaign ended after a 1-0 defeat to South Africa in the group stage. The team needed only a draw in the match to qualify for the knockout rounds, making the loss a major disappointment.

Hong, who represented South Korea as a defender during the 2002 FIFA World Cup, faced strong criticism from football fans, analysts, and politicians after the team's exit.

When he returned home, supporters jeered him at the airport over his decision to leave experienced captain Son Heung-min on the bench for the decisive match against South Africa.

President Criticises Football Leadership

Following the World Cup disappointment, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung criticised the leadership of the country's football system.

In a public statement, the president blamed the failure on what he described as "incompetent people" being promoted into leadership positions. Although he did not mention Hong by name, he referred to concerns about "loyalty and factionalism" influencing appointments within football administration.

Hong Denies Receiving Preferential Treatment

During the parliamentary hearing, lawmakers questioned Hong over claims that he received favourable treatment during his appointment as national team coach in 2024.

The allegations suggested that KFA recruiters travelled to his neighbourhood to conduct interviews that lacked transparency.

Hong rejected the claims, telling lawmakers that he believed the proper recruitment procedures had been followed. He also said he had never requested any special treatment, favours, or benefits during the selection process.

Salary Questions Raised in Parliament

Lawmakers also questioned reports claiming Hong received an annual salary of 3.8 billion won (approximately US$2.6 million), an amount reported to be among the highest paid to national team coaches.

Hong responded that the reported figure was incorrect but declined to reveal the actual amount of his salary.

High Expectations End in Disappointment

South Korean media had described the national squad as a "golden generation" before the tournament, raising expectations for a deep World Cup run.

The team included several internationally recognised players, including former Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min, Bayern Munich defender Kim Min-jae, and former Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Lee Kang-in.

Despite those expectations, South Korea was unable to advance beyond the group stage, leading to Hong's resignation and continued scrutiny of the Korea Football Association.

July 30, 2026 4:27 p.m. 197

#Sports #Global Updates #World News #Sports news

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More