Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Singapore Charges Scam Syndicate Member

Singapore Charges Scam Syndicate Member

Post by : Shakul

Singapore authorities have charged another member of a large Cambodia-based scam syndicate accused of cheating victims out of more than S$53 million, equivalent to around RM164 million. The latest suspect, 30-year-old Ngiam Siow Jui, appeared in court after being linked to an international fraud network operating from Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Investigators believe the group was involved in hundreds of scam cases targeting victims across Singapore and other parts of Southeast Asia.

According to court documents, Ngiam was charged under Singapore’s Organised Crime Act for allegedly working as a scam caller at a call centre located in Phnom Penh. Authorities claim the operation used sophisticated methods to deceive victims into transferring large sums of money through fake investment schemes, impersonation calls, and online fraud activities. The case is considered one of the largest organised scam investigations currently being handled by Singaporean authorities.

Police said Ngiam was arrested earlier by the Cambodian National Police in Phnom Penh before being repatriated to Singapore on May 4. During his court appearance, prosecutors requested that he remain in custody for another week to assist with ongoing investigations. Officials also informed the court that the suspect could be taken along on police operations aimed at recovering evidence connected to the fraud syndicate.

Investigators revealed that the scam network is linked to at least 535 reported scam cases in Singapore alone. Authorities believe the syndicate operated through organised call centres, often referred to as boiler rooms, which were allegedly set up to target unsuspecting victims across the region. The scams reportedly caused major financial losses and raised serious concerns about the growing reach of transnational cybercrime groups operating in Southeast Asia.

The syndicate first came under major police action on September 9, 2025, when the Singapore Police Force carried out a coordinated operation across both Singapore and Cambodia. The large-scale crackdown led to several arrests and the identification of key individuals believed to be leading the criminal organisation. Since then, authorities have continued working with international law enforcement agencies to track down additional suspects.

Police identified the alleged mastermind of the syndicate as 32-year-old Ng Wei Liang, who remains on the run. Despite his disappearance, several people connected to his inner circle have already been arrested and formally charged. Among them are his brother Ng Wei Kang, his girlfriend Christy Neo Wei En, and his cousin Lester Ng Jing Hai. All three were among the first suspects charged during the early stages of the investigation last year.

Authorities also confirmed that the scam network had links to Malaysia. Out of 34 individuals identified as being involved in the organisation, seven are Malaysian nationals. While several suspects remain fugitives, police said at least five people connected to the syndicate have already been arrested. One of them is Malaysian citizen Bernard Goh Yie Shen, along with several Singaporean suspects believed to have played important roles in the operation.

Singapore police are now intensifying efforts to locate the remaining fugitives connected to the syndicate. On May 5, authorities announced that Interpol had issued Red Notices against two additional Singaporean suspects identified as Jonathan Boneta and Lee Ding Hao. Both men are believed to be outside Singapore and are currently being sought by international law enforcement agencies.

The case has shocked many people across the region because of the large amount of money involved and the highly organised nature of the operation. Authorities warned that Cambodia-based scam centres continue to pose a serious threat to Southeast Asian countries due to their ability to operate across borders using digital technology and fake identities. If convicted under the Organised Crime Act, Ngiam could face up to five years in prison, a fine of up to S$100,000, or both penalties together.

May 6, 2026 11:30 a.m. 579

#Asia News #Singapore News #police news #Cambodia #Cybersecurity

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More