You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!
Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.
Do not worry we don't spam!
Post by : Badri Ariffin
China’s Long March 7A rocket failed shortly after lifting off from the Wenchang space launch site in Hainan on Monday, August 10, after an in-flight anomaly, according to China’s state news agency Xinhua.
The rocket was carrying the ChinaSat-4B communications satellite. It launched at 8:02 p.m. Beijing time, or 1202 GMT. Xinhua reported that the mission was unsuccessful and said the cause of the failure was being analysed and investigated.
China’s National Space Administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Launch footage showed that the Long March 7A was completely destroyed at a relatively low altitude and speed, according to Jonathan McDowell, an honorary professor at Durham University and a member of the Center for Space Environmentalism.
McDowell said the available video indicated that neither the ChinaSat-4B satellite nor debris from the rocket reached orbit.
The failure is the first unsuccessful Long March 7A mission since the rocket’s maiden flight in March 2020. That mission also failed because of an in-flight malfunction.
Following that incident, the rocket successfully returned to flight a year later and went on to complete more than a dozen successful missions before Monday’s failure, based on Chinese launch records.
A China National Radio report, which was later removed from a page hosted by Baidu, identified the payload as Zhongxing-4B, also known as ChinaSat-4B. The report identified the launcher as the Long March 7 modified rocket, another name used for the Long March 7A.
ChinaSat-4B belongs to the same satellite series as ChinaSat-4A, which was launched in 2024, based on Reuters’ assessment of the available evidence.
China previously said ChinaSat-4A was designed to provide voice, data, radio and television transmission services. It was not immediately clear whether ChinaSat-4B would have the same role, customers or capabilities.
The Long March 7A is a medium-lift rocket mainly designed for missions involving high orbits.
SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk commented on a post about the failed launch on X, saying, “rockets are insanely hard.”
Musk also said he hoped those involved would have a speedy recovery.
The failure comes as several Chinese private and state-owned companies continue efforts to narrow the gap with SpaceX in the space-launch sector.
The outcome of China’s investigation will help determine whether the problem was limited to the Long March 7A or whether broader checks will be required involving shared components, manufacturing processes or launch-site operations.
Blaine Curcio, founder of Orbital Gateway Consulting, described the accident as “not a great development” for the Long March 7A programme. However, based on the information publicly available, he said the damage appeared limited.
Curcio noted that the Long March 7A is mainly used to place communications satellites into high orbit rather than deploy China’s large groups of satellites in low Earth orbit. As a result, he said the failure should not significantly affect the pace of those low-Earth-orbit launches.
China is also preparing for the Chang’e-7 lunar mission at the Wenchang launch site.
Chinese authorities have officially said Chang’e-7 is scheduled for launch in the second half of 2026, while launch observers have identified a possible window toward the end of August.
The Long March 5 rocket and the Chang’e-7 spacecraft are already at the site.
Chang’e-7 is planned to explore the Moon’s south pole, including permanently shadowed craters that may contain water ice.
The lunar mission will use the Long March 5, a larger rocket that is different from the Long March 7A. Curcio said he did not expect Monday’s Long March 7A failure to have a meaningful effect on the planned Chang’e-7 launch schedule.
Lamborghini Catches Fire on Singapore's ECP, Causing Heavy Traffic
A Lamborghini caught fire on Singapore's ECP, causing heavy traffic and bus delays. No injuries were
Bangkok Airport Duty-Free Area Flooded by Pipe Burst
A burst water pipe flooded the duty-free shopping area at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on July 16,
Nine Monks Killed in Thailand Pickup Truck Tragedy
An 11-year-old boy driving a pickup truck crashed into monks during a pilgrimage in northeastern Tha
Anwar Congratulates Xi on CPC's 105th Anniversary
Malaysia reaffirms strong ties with China as PM Anwar Ibrahim sends a congratulatory letter to Presi
Thai Agriculture Team Reviews 2026 Farm Development Plans
Agriculture Ministry officials inspected livestock and organic rice projects in Nakhon Sawan to moni
Thailand, Canada Boost Ties in PM-Level Phone Talks
Thailand and Canada agreed to strengthen trade, security, OECD cooperation and ASEAN-Canada FTA talk