You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!
Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.
Do not worry we don't spam!
Post by : Badri Ariffin
U.S. President Donald Trump faced questions from a CNN reporter on Monday, August 17, over his decision to reduce joint military exercises with South Korea.
During the exchange, the reporter asked Trump whether North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had requested the reduction in U.S.-South Korea military drills.
Trump responded by telling the reporter to “be quiet” rather than directly answering whether Kim had personally asked for the drills to be scaled back.
The exchange came after Trump ordered the U.S. military to “substantially reduce” joint exercises with South Korea.
Trump has defended the decision by saying the military drills are expensive and can send what he considers an unnecessarily hostile message to North Korea.
He also cited his relationship with Kim Jong Un, suggesting that his approach could help create an opportunity for renewed engagement with Pyongyang.
The CNN reporter's question focused on whether the reduction was made at Kim Jong Un’s request.
Trump did not directly confirm or deny that Kim had asked for the military exercises to be reduced. Instead, he told the reporter to “be quiet.”
The unanswered question has added further interest to Trump's decision, particularly because North Korea has repeatedly criticized U.S.-South Korean military exercises and described them as preparations for an invasion.
South Korea has expressed hope that Trump's relationship with Kim could help restart diplomatic discussions between Washington and Pyongyang.
Seoul said it wants to support meaningful dialogue aimed at promoting peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung has also taken steps to reduce tensions with North Korea, including stopping frontline loudspeaker broadcasts.
While Seoul sees a possible diplomatic opportunity, the reduction in military exercises has raised concerns about the readiness of the U.S.-South Korea alliance.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises began Monday as scheduled. Around 18,000 South Korean troops are expected to participate, along with U.S. forces.
The drills are designed to improve coordination and prepare the two countries for potential military threats from North Korea.
Security experts have warned that reducing joint exercises could weaken military coordination and deterrence over time.
North Korea has continued developing its nuclear and missile capabilities while strengthening military cooperation with Russia and maintaining close ties with China.
Pyongyang has also repeatedly condemned U.S.-South Korean military exercises.
Earlier this month, North Korea launched two ballistic missiles into the sea, in what analysts viewed as a possible protest against the drills.
Trump's decision could potentially create a new opening for US-North Korea diplomacy, but it also presents challenges for South Korea.
Seoul will need to balance efforts to restart talks with the need to maintain strong defense preparedness.
Whether the reduction in military exercises leads to renewed discussions with Kim Jong Un remains uncertain. The question of whether Kim requested the move also remains unanswered following Trump's exchange with the CNN reporter.
Lamborghini Catches Fire on Singapore's ECP, Causing Heavy Traffic
A Lamborghini caught fire on Singapore's ECP, causing heavy traffic and bus delays. No injuries were
Bangkok Airport Duty-Free Area Flooded by Pipe Burst
A burst water pipe flooded the duty-free shopping area at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on July 16,
Nine Monks Killed in Thailand Pickup Truck Tragedy
An 11-year-old boy driving a pickup truck crashed into monks during a pilgrimage in northeastern Tha
Anwar Congratulates Xi on CPC's 105th Anniversary
Malaysia reaffirms strong ties with China as PM Anwar Ibrahim sends a congratulatory letter to Presi
Thai Agriculture Team Reviews 2026 Farm Development Plans
Agriculture Ministry officials inspected livestock and organic rice projects in Nakhon Sawan to moni
Thailand, Canada Boost Ties in PM-Level Phone Talks
Thailand and Canada agreed to strengthen trade, security, OECD cooperation and ASEAN-Canada FTA talk