You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!
Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.
Do not worry we don't spam!
Post by : Badri Ariffin
The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has recorded more than 5,000 confirmed Ebola cases, marking a major escalation in the country’s deadliest Ebola outbreak.
According to the latest situation report from the DRC Health Ministry, confirmed Ebola cases reached 5,021, while the death toll climbed to 2,378 since the outbreak was declared in mid-May 2026.
The outbreak has spread across 55 health zones in six provinces, including Haut-Uele, Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Bas-Uele and Tshopo.
Ituri province continues to be the main center of the Ebola outbreak, with health officials reporting sustained transmission in the region.
Authorities are working to strengthen disease surveillance, improve public awareness and ensure that communities follow health safety measures. Officials have also urged response teams to provide clear and regular information to the public.
The government is particularly concerned about misinformation and rumors, which officials say could weaken public trust and make it harder to control the spread of the virus.
Health authorities are also taking steps to prevent Ebola from reaching Kinshasa, the capital and one of the country's largest population centers.
Surveillance has been increased along the Congo River, around 65 kilometers (40 miles) from Kinshasa. A health post has been established to monitor boats arriving from areas affected by the outbreak.
Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said the measures are aimed at identifying possible infections early and preventing the virus from spreading toward the capital.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday that the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Congo remains a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
The declaration highlights the potential for the outbreak to spread beyond affected areas and the need for continued international cooperation, surveillance and emergency response.
The current outbreak is being caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus. Health authorities say the outbreak has now surpassed the scale of the 2018–2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo, which was previously among the country's worst Ebola emergencies.
The latest figures underline the growing challenge facing health workers as they attempt to contain transmission across multiple provinces.
Health authorities are focusing on strengthening disease surveillance, improving communication with local communities and limiting the movement of infection from affected areas.
With more than 5,000 confirmed cases and over 2,300 deaths, controlling transmission in Ituri and other affected provinces remains a major priority. Preventing the virus from reaching Kinshasa is also a key concern for Congo’s health authorities.
Lamborghini Catches Fire on Singapore's ECP, Causing Heavy Traffic
A Lamborghini caught fire on Singapore's ECP, causing heavy traffic and bus delays. No injuries were
Bangkok Airport Duty-Free Area Flooded by Pipe Burst
A burst water pipe flooded the duty-free shopping area at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on July 16,
Nine Monks Killed in Thailand Pickup Truck Tragedy
An 11-year-old boy driving a pickup truck crashed into monks during a pilgrimage in northeastern Tha
Anwar Congratulates Xi on CPC's 105th Anniversary
Malaysia reaffirms strong ties with China as PM Anwar Ibrahim sends a congratulatory letter to Presi
Thai Agriculture Team Reviews 2026 Farm Development Plans
Agriculture Ministry officials inspected livestock and organic rice projects in Nakhon Sawan to moni
Thailand, Canada Boost Ties in PM-Level Phone Talks
Thailand and Canada agreed to strengthen trade, security, OECD cooperation and ASEAN-Canada FTA talk