Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Congo Ebola Outbreak Could Surpass Deadliest Outbreak in History

Congo Ebola Outbreak Could Surpass Deadliest Outbreak in History

Post by : Badri Ariffin

The ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is advancing at a pace that could make it the deadliest Ebola outbreak in history, according to World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Tedros said the outbreak is currently on course to surpass the West African Ebola epidemic of 2014 to 2016, which killed more than 11,000 people and became the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever recorded.

The outbreak in eastern Congo has already killed more than 2,000 people among more than 4,300 reported cases. It was officially declared on May 15, although health authorities later determined through genetic sequencing that the virus had been spreading since February.

Why the Congo Ebola Outbreak Is Different

The current outbreak is being caused by the rare Bundibugyo virus, a type of Ebola for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments.

The outbreak is also developing in a difficult environment. Cases are being reported in remote parts of eastern Congo, where ongoing conflict, poor infrastructure and limited healthcare capacity are making it harder for health workers to identify and control new infections.

The affected area lies near the borders with South Sudan, Uganda and Rwanda. Many new cases and deaths are occurring in communities that remain difficult for health teams to reach.

Some healthcare workers have also gone on strike because of unpaid salaries, while misinformation about Ebola has contributed to mistrust among some communities and discouraged people from seeking treatment at health facilities.

Tedros said the outbreak had gained a significant lead before authorities were able to fully respond, leaving health teams struggling to catch up with its spread.

WHO Expects the Outbreak to Peak Within Six Months

Dr. Abdirahman Mahamud, WHO director for health emergency alert and response operations, said the agency expects the outbreak to reach its peak within six months.

However, he said that estimate represents a moderate scenario. Under another scenario, the outbreak could continue for between nine and 12 months.

The current outbreak has killed people at a faster rate than any previous Ebola outbreak. By comparison, the 2014-2016 West African outbreak recorded at least 28,000 cases and took about eight months to reach 1,000 deaths.

Two Bundibugyo Ebola Vaccines Are Being Tested

Efforts are now underway to develop medical tools specifically for the Bundibugyo virus.

Two vaccines developed for this type of Ebola are being tested in humans for the first time, Tedros said. The WHO also plans to investigate whether an existing Ebola vaccine could provide protection against the virus after animal studies produced encouraging results.

Clinical trials of two potential treatments for Bundibugyo Ebola began last month in Ituri, the province that has been most heavily affected among the five provinces where cases have been detected.

How Ebola Spreads

Ebola is a rare but highly contagious disease. It can spread through contact with infected bodily fluids, including blood, vomit and semen. Transmission can also occur through contaminated materials and surfaces, including bedding and clothing.

The disease can be severe and is often fatal, making early detection and effective outbreak control critical.

Study Provides Clues About the Origin of the Outbreak

Researchers are also gaining a clearer understanding of how the current outbreak began.

A study published in Nature Medicine on Monday found evidence that the virus likely entered the human population after transmission from an infected animal. Researchers said the virus is genetically distinct from the versions of Bundibugyo Ebola identified during outbreaks in 2007 and 2012.

The findings add evidence that the current outbreak did not originate from those earlier outbreaks.

Aug. 14, 2026 5:13 p.m. 168

#Global News #Asia News #World Update #Global Updates

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More