Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Delhi Protests Intensify After Police Crackdown on CJP Supporters

Delhi Protests Intensify After Police Crackdown on CJP Supporters

Post by : Badri Ariffin

Thousands of people gathered once again in India's capital, New Delhi, on Tuesday, a day after police used batons and tear gas to disperse supporters of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), a youth-led movement demanding education reforms and the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.

The renewed demonstrations came after Monday's large protest, during which tens of thousands of students and young people attempted to march towards Parliament despite restrictions imposed by the police. The clashes left dozens injured and have triggered strong political reactions across the country.

Thousands Return to Protest in Delhi

The latest protest followed violent scenes in central Delhi on Monday when police stopped demonstrators from marching to Parliament.

According to reports, at least 60 protesters were injured after police used batons and tear gas to break up the crowd. Police also dismantled the main protest stage and temporary tents set up at Jantar Mantar, where demonstrators had been camping for nearly a month.

Delhi Police said 118 police personnel were also injured during the clashes and confirmed that 70 protesters had been detained.

Many protesters told the BBC that women were also beaten during the police operation.

Opposition Criticises Police Action

Neither Delhi Police nor Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government commented on the use of batons and tear gas against protesters.

Opposition parties strongly criticised the police action.

Leader of the Opposition Rahul Gandhi described the students' demands as "legitimate" and accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of being "the most anti-youth prime minister India has ever had."

On Tuesday, Rahul Gandhi led Congress Members of Parliament and party leaders in a march towards Prime Minister Modi's residence.

Posting on X, Gandhi said: "The government doesn't want to take any accountability or want to have a debate on it in parliament. PM and HM [Home Minister Amit Shah who controls police] must resign for destroying the future of India's youth."

How the Cockroach Janta Party Movement Began

The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) is a satirical political movement that emerged after India's Chief Justice earlier this year used the word "cockroach" while referring to unemployed young people turning to journalism and activism.

The remarks sparked widespread criticism. The Chief Justice later clarified that he had only been referring to people holding "fake and bogus degrees."

Although the CJP is not a registered political party, Monday's massive turnout demonstrated that it has grown into a nationwide youth movement capable of attracting tens of thousands of supporters.

Sonam Wangchuk's Hunger Strike Boosted the Movement

The protest movement gained nationwide and international attention after activist and educationist Sonam Wangchuk joined the demonstration at Jantar Mantar on 28 June and began an indefinite hunger strike supporting the protesters' demands.

Police removed Wangchuk from the protest site on Saturday and admitted him to hospital, where he continues his fast.

The movement has since become one of the most visible public protests against Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government in recent years.

The campaign has also received support from opposition parties, farmer leaders, activists and several Bollywood actors.

Government Holds Meeting with CJP Leaders

On Monday, Health Minister JP Nadda met CJP representatives in an effort to address their concerns.

According to Nadda, the discussion took place in a "cordial atmosphere," and he appealed to protesters to end their sit-in and help restore normal public life.

However, CJP spokesperson Saurav Das said the 10-minute meeting ended only with a promise that the government would examine the issues, without giving any concrete assurances.

Another CJP leader, Ashutosh Ranka, described the four-hour wait before the meeting as "a waste of time."

Initially, there were indications that the protesters might suspend their demonstration after meeting the minister. However, their position changed after internet services in the area, which had reportedly been blocked throughout the day, were restored.

Once online access resumed, protesters saw videos showing the scale of the police action.

Protest Site Cleared as Violence Escalated

During the police operation at Jantar Mantar, officers and paramilitary personnel moved in to clear the protest site.

Witnesses reported that plainclothes officers with covered faces joined uniformed police in chasing protesters and striking them with sticks.

Authorities repeatedly announced through loudspeakers that the protest had ended and instructed everyone to leave the area.

Several injured protesters were taken to hospital. Witnesses reported seeing one young man with a serious head injury receiving treatment from volunteer doctors and another student with a broken leg.

As people attempted to escape over police barricades, many fell, families became separated and several women were seen crying.

A senior police officer leading the operation declined to answer questions from journalists.

Social Media Videos Fuel Fresh Demonstrations

After internet services resumed, videos widely shared on social media appeared to show security personnel beating protesters, including women, with some individuals lying unconscious on the ground.

Later on Monday night, CJP supporters returned to Jantar Mantar and announced on social media that their peaceful protest would continue.

The group posted: "This peaceful protest is not ending!"

It also called on supporters to return to the protest site, adding: "Despite the police brutality, the brave protestors of CJP are back. Delhi, come out and join us at Jantar Mantar - this is now or never! Dharmendra Pradhan Must Resign!"

Police and CJP Give Conflicting Versions

In an official statement, Delhi Police accused protesters of displaying "unruly, aggressive and violent behaviour."

Police said demonstrators ignored repeated warnings, attacked officers with stones and other objects, attempted to break police barricades, damaged police and government vehicles, destroyed public property and resorted to large-scale violence.

The CJP rejected those allegations, accusing police of initiating the violence.

The organisation also asked injured protesters and anyone requiring legal assistance to contact its volunteers.

CJP Founder Apologises to Supporters

CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke apologised to supporters through a post on X.

He wrote: "I apologise to all our supporters, especially the girls who were brutally beaten by male police officers. We could have done better. I could have done better to protect you from the inhumane actions of the Delhi police."

In another post, Dipke said one injured supporter remained in critical condition in hospital and that he was going to visit her.

Why the Protesters Are Demanding Dharmendra Pradhan's Resignation

The CJP is demanding major reforms to India's education system, including stronger accountability over alleged examination paper leaks.

Its primary demand is the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan following the leak of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET).

Nearly 2.28 million candidates appeared for the medical entrance examination on 3 May. The examination was later cancelled after reports of a paper leak, and a fresh examination was conducted weeks later.

According to the protesters, more than 20 students have died by suicide since the controversy, with families saying they were devastated by the scandal.

The protesters believe Pradhan should accept moral responsibility and resign.

Pradhan has rejected the demand and described the CJP and its supporters as "the B-team of disruptive elements."

Despite the police crackdown, the large turnout, continued occupation of Jantar Mantar and the movement's refusal to end the protest suggest that the campaign is likely to remain in public focus.

July 22, 2026 11:24 a.m. 217

#India News #Global Updates #Delhi #World News

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More