You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!
Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.
Do not worry we don't spam!
Post by : Badri Ariffin
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia: Damansara Member of Parliament Gobind Singh Deo has directed all relevant government departments and technical agencies to immediately develop a comprehensive action plan following the flash floods and landslide that affected several areas of Petaling Jaya over the weekend.
The emergency meeting, scheduled for Monday, will bring together representatives from the Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID), Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ), the Fire and Rescue Department, project developers, and other technical authorities to assess the situation and recommend both immediate and long-term solutions.
Speaking after inspecting the affected areas of Kampung Sungai Kayu Ara and Kampung Chempaka, Gobind said all participating agencies had been instructed to prepare proposals that would help ensure the safety of residents while addressing the root causes of the recurring flooding.
He said the authorities would examine both short-term emergency measures and long-term infrastructure improvements to prevent similar disasters from happening again.
According to Gobind, the priority is to restore public confidence by ensuring the affected neighbourhoods are safe before any major repair or mitigation work proceeds.
Gobind stressed that protecting residents must remain the government's primary concern throughout the recovery process.
During his visit, he pointed to visible damage on roads in the affected areas, including holes in the road surface and water continuing to flow beneath them. He said these conditions raised serious concerns about the structural safety of local roads, river embankments, and nearby residential properties.
He said authorities must carefully evaluate whether damaged roads are safe for public use, whether riverbanks remain stable, and whether surrounding homes face any ongoing risks before further work begins.
Gobind revealed that recommendations had already been submitted following a similar flooding incident that occurred several months earlier. Based on those recommendations, preliminary mitigation work had already begun through the project developer.
However, he emphasized that every stage of the work must remain under the supervision and approval of relevant government authorities to ensure it complies with all technical standards, engineering requirements, and legal regulations.
He added that his office has been closely monitoring the ongoing work but said stronger coordination among agencies is necessary to deliver a permanent solution.
Gobind said he wants the agencies to finalize a clear action plan as quickly as possible so residents can be assured that the government is treating the issue with urgency.
He noted that the objective is not only to make the affected areas safe today but also to implement sustainable flood mitigation measures that reduce the risk of future flash floods and landslides.
The latest flooding follows heavy rainfall on Saturday, which caused flash floods at Medan Selera 223, one of Petaling Jaya's well-known food centres.
The incident marked the third flash flood at the location in less than three months, raising fresh concerns among residents, traders, and local authorities about recurring drainage and flood management issues.
Videos shared across social media showed floodwaters rising to below waist level, disrupting business operations, forcing traders to suspend activities, and affecting customers visiting the area.
The repeated flooding has intensified calls for stronger flood prevention measures, improved drainage infrastructure, and faster implementation of long-term solutions to protect businesses and nearby communities from future weather-related disasters.
Lamborghini Catches Fire on Singapore's ECP, Causing Heavy Traffic
A Lamborghini caught fire on Singapore's ECP, causing heavy traffic and bus delays. No injuries were
Bangkok Airport Duty-Free Area Flooded by Pipe Burst
A burst water pipe flooded the duty-free shopping area at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on July 16,
Nine Monks Killed in Thailand Pickup Truck Tragedy
An 11-year-old boy driving a pickup truck crashed into monks during a pilgrimage in northeastern Tha
Anwar Congratulates Xi on CPC's 105th Anniversary
Malaysia reaffirms strong ties with China as PM Anwar Ibrahim sends a congratulatory letter to Presi
Thai Agriculture Team Reviews 2026 Farm Development Plans
Agriculture Ministry officials inspected livestock and organic rice projects in Nakhon Sawan to moni
Thailand, Canada Boost Ties in PM-Level Phone Talks
Thailand and Canada agreed to strengthen trade, security, OECD cooperation and ASEAN-Canada FTA talk