Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Indonesia School Collapse 59 Students Feared Trapped Under Rubble

Indonesia School Collapse 59 Students Feared Trapped Under Rubble

Post by : Rameen Ariff

Jakarta – Hopes are fading in Indonesia as rescuers said they detected “no more signs of life” under the rubble of a collapsed boarding school where dozens of students remain trapped. The building, located in Sidoarjo on the island of Java, suddenly caved in on Monday during afternoon prayers, burying scores of students inside.

According to officials, five bodies have been recovered so far, while 59 people are still feared trapped beneath the ruins. Families waiting anxiously near the site have been left heartbroken as rescue teams work day and night in a complex and dangerous operation.

The head of Indonesia’s disaster mitigation agency, Suharyanto, confirmed that high-tech equipment, including thermal drones, had been used to search for survivors. “Scientifically, there are no more signs of life,” he said, raising fears that the number of victims could rise sharply.

Also Read :- Parents Sue Tesla Over Door Flaw After Eren Died In Cybertruck Fire

Relatives of the missing children continue to pray for a miracle. “I have been here since day one. I hope for the best news, that my brother survives,” said 28-year-old Maulana Bayu Rizky Pratama, whose 17-year-old sibling is among those missing. Another father, Abdul Hanan, whose 14-year-old son is trapped, said he had heard children crying for help under the rubble and pleaded with officials to speed up the search.

The rescue mission is proving extremely difficult. Experts say vibrations caused by digging in one area can destabilise other sections of the collapsed structure. Search teams are now attempting to create a narrow underground tunnel just 60 centimetres wide to reach possible survivors. Heavy equipment is also being deployed with extreme caution after families gave their approval, though officials warned that the operation may last longer than seven days if victims remain unaccounted for.

Rescuers have used cameras and drones to scan the wreckage while also delivering food and water through a single access point. On Wednesday, five people were pulled alive from the rubble, giving families a glimmer of hope. But as the crucial 72-hour “golden window” for survival passes, the chances of finding more survivors are becoming slimmer.

The collapse was so violent that it sent tremors through the neighbourhood. Local resident Ani, who runs a grocery stall nearby, recalled: “I felt a vibration and then heard a loud noise. I ran to save myself, not realising it was the school that had collapsed.”

Officials believe the tragedy was caused by weak foundation pillars that gave way after additional floors were built on top of the school. This points to poor construction standards, a recurring problem in Indonesia. Experts warn that many buildings in the country are left partially finished, with owners later adding extra levels when finances allow, often without meeting safety regulations.

The rescue effort has faced further setbacks, including an offshore earthquake that briefly halted operations on Tuesday night. Despite these challenges, local charities have stepped in to provide food, water, and shelter for grieving families gathered near the site.

This latest disaster has raised fresh concerns about building safety in Indonesia. Just weeks earlier, three people were killed and dozens injured when another building collapsed during a prayer recital in West Java. The government is now under pressure to tighten construction rules and enforce safety standards to prevent such tragedies from happening again.

As rescue teams continue their search in Sidoarjo, families hold onto the last fragments of hope that their children might still be found alive, even as officials warn that survival chances are now very slim.

Oct. 3, 2025 11:15 a.m. 1039

#world news #Global News #Asia News #Indonesia News

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More