Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Balen Shah Addresses Nepal Violence as Death Toll Reaches Three

Balen Shah Addresses Nepal Violence as Death Toll Reaches Three

Post by : Badri Ariffin

Communal violence that began earlier this week in Nepal's Sunsari district spread to the country's Madhes region on Thursday, pushing the death toll to three. The unrest comes amid a nationwide curfew and criticism of Prime Minister Balen Shah over what many viewed as his delayed response to the crisis.

Prime Minister Shah, who comes from the Madhes region, addressed the nation for the first time on Thursday evening after several days of violence. Madhes is Nepal's smallest and most densely populated southeastern province and shares its southern border with India's Bihar state.

How the Violence Started

The violence first broke out on Sunday night in Sunsari district of Koshi Province. According to reports, the unrest began when Hindu devotees were carrying holy water toward the Koshi Barrage during a Bolbam procession, Nepal's equivalent of India's Kaawad Yatra.

The procession included loud devotional music, which members of the local Muslim community reportedly objected to. A verbal dispute soon turned into violent clashes, with people from both communities using sticks, stones and bamboo poles during the confrontation.

Reports also said that online misinformation contributed to rising tensions and further escalated the situation.

Security Forces Open Fire After Clashes

Personnel from the Nepal Police and the Armed Police Force were deployed to control the violence. Authorities first used warning shots and tear gas to disperse the crowd. When those measures failed, security forces fired live ammunition.

During the firing, 30-year-old Om Prakash Mehta was fatally shot.

The unrest later spread beyond Sunsari. By Thursday, clashes and protests had reached Golbazaar and Lahan in Siraha district, where teenager Ganesh Yadav was killed.

Family of Victim Demands Justice

Following Om Prakash Mehta's death, his family refused to collect his body from the hospital. They demanded that he be declared a martyr, that the government provide compensation, and that those responsible for the shooting face legal action before his funeral takes place.

Prime Minister Balen Shah Addresses the Nation

In his national address on Thursday evening, Prime Minister Balen Shah described the situation as "a most sensitive and delicate moment." He assured the public that the investigation ordered by the Ministry of Home Affairs would be "completely impartial and transparent."

"The government is committed to bringing to justice whoever is found guilty," Shah said.

He stated that the government had already held an all-party meeting and started consultations with elected representatives, civil society members, religious leaders and local community elders to prevent further violence.

Shah also said that Home Minister Sudan Gurung had travelled to the affected districts with senior security officials, while the National Security Council had reviewed the worsening security situation.

PM Calls for Restraint and Warns Against Collective Blame

A major part of the Prime Minister's address focused on stopping the spread of rumours and inflammatory content on social media, which he said could further damage communal harmony.

He also stressed that no community should be blamed for incidents that occurred in one area.

"It can never be justified to hold an entire community responsible for a tragic incident in one part of the country and spread retaliation to other parts of the nation," Shah said.

President Calls for Unity

Nepal President Ramchandra Paudel also expressed concern over the violence on Thursday. He urged citizens to maintain social and religious harmony, communal peace and national unity.

"Goodwill, reconciliation and brotherhood are the defining characteristics of the Nepalese people in our multicultural, multiethnic and multiracial society," the President said in a statement.

Questions Raised Over Government's Response

Prime Minister Shah's response has faced criticism because his public address came only after Home Minister Sudan Gurung reached the affected districts and after ruling party chairman Rabi Lamichhane had already begun holding meetings that the Prime Minister's Office had delayed.

Reports noted that although restrictions were imposed in Sunsari the day after the first deaths, the Home Minister visited the district several days later. Shah also issued a Facebook statement only two days after the violence began before addressing the nation on Thursday.

Former Leaders Call for Peaceful Resolution

Former parliamentarian Suman Shrestha questioned the deployment of the Army, saying it would not solve the crisis. She urged the Prime Minister to involve federal Members of Parliament, provincial lawmakers and local representatives in restoring peace.

"Deploying army is not a solution in this case. Federal MPs, provincial MPs, and local representatives are the messengers of peace at this moment – ask them for help!" she wrote on X.

Former Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai also appealed for unity, saying the country must act together to prevent the situation from worsening.

"As the saying goes, 'When brothers fall out, the fools plunder.' Therefore, at this juncture, without any ifs or buts, the government, political parties, and patriotic citizens from all ethnicities, religions, and communities must unite as one to immediately avert this looming crisis—there is no alternative," he said.

July 31, 2026 3:20 p.m. 340

#Asia News #Breaking News #Global Updates #Nepal

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More