Search

Saved articles

You have not yet added any article to your bookmarks!

Newsletter image

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Join 10k+ people to get notified about new posts, news and tips.

Do not worry we don't spam!

Trump Renews Greenland Claim, Signals F-35 Deal for Turkey

Trump Renews Greenland Claim, Signals F-35 Deal for Turkey

Post by : Badri Ariffin

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday renewed his demand that the United States should control Greenland instead of Denmark, reviving a long-running dispute with a key NATO ally.

Speaking to reporters during a meeting with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara, Trump described the semi-autonomous island as strategically important for the United States. He repeated his claim that Greenland is surrounded by Chinese and Russian ships and said Washington would not allow the island to face any threats.

"That should be controlled by the United States, not by Denmark," Trump said.

The remarks came while NATO leaders were gathering for a summit focused on strengthening the alliance's defense capabilities and increasing military spending among member countries.

NATO Focuses on Higher Defense Spending

The NATO alliance, made up of 32 member countries, is based on the principle that members defend one another rather than threaten each other's territory.

During the summit, European leaders and NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte worked to address Trump's long-standing criticism that European allies do not spend enough on their own defense.

At the same time, NATO announced several major military procurement projects aimed at improving the alliance's surveillance, transport, and defense capabilities.

Trump Announces Plan to Lift Sanctions on Turkey

In a separate announcement, Trump said the United States would remove sanctions imposed on Turkey after Ankara purchased the Russian-made S-400 missile defense system in 2019.

The purchase had led to years of tensions between Washington and Ankara and resulted in Turkey being removed from the US F-35 fighter jet program.

"We're going to be taking the sanctions off, OK?" Trump said, adding that Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth are working on the issue.

Trump also said selling F-35 fighter jets to Turkey is "something certainly we'd consider," noting that Turkey has been "much more loyal than other countries that we think would be loyal."

Erdogan Seeks Return to the F-35 Program

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan welcomed Trump's comments and expressed hope that the United States would allow Turkey to rejoin the F-35 fighter jet program.

Regaining access to the advanced aircraft remains one of Turkey's top defense priorities.

Trump praised his relationship with Erdogan, saying the two leaders share a strong personal connection.

"There’s a chemistry that works between us," Trump said. "Sometimes you get along with the toughest people, like him."

Erdogan welcomed Trump with an official ceremony featuring military officials on horseback and aircraft releasing red, white, and blue smoke overhead.

Legal Challenges Still Remain

Although Trump announced plans to remove sanctions, legal obstacles still exist before Turkey can return to the F-35 program.

US law continues to restrict the sale of F-35 fighter jets to Turkey while the country retains the Russian S-400 missile defense system.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also opposed any future sale of the aircraft to Turkey. Speaking to CNN, Netanyahu said he had urged Trump not to approve the deal, warning it could threaten Israel's security.

"This is not a force for peace and stability," Netanyahu said. "When you give them that power, you're going to see aggression in its wake."

Several US lawmakers have also opposed restoring Turkey's access to the F-35 program unless the S-400 system is removed.

NATO Announces New Multi-Billion Dollar Defense Projects

Earlier on Tuesday, NATO unveiled a series of major defense projects involving billions of dollars in military investments.

Mark Rutte described the new initiatives as "money well spent" during a forum attended by defense ministers and industry representatives.

Among the key announcements:

  • Swedish defense company Saab will provide up to 10 GlobalEye surveillance aircraft for a consortium of 10 countries to replace NATO's nearly 50-year-old AWACS early warning planes.
  • Representatives from 15 countries announced a joint plan to purchase air-to-air refueling and transport aircraft from Airbus.
  • NATO also confirmed that four member countries will jointly acquire up to five new Triton surveillance drones.

Although Rutte had earlier said the summit would feature "tens of billions" of dollars in contracts, no specific financial figures were announced during Tuesday's event. Some of the projects had already been agreed upon before the summit.

Several initiatives are expected to receive financial support through a European Union defense loan program worth up to $170 billion raised from capital markets.

Zelensky Again Pushes for NATO Membership

Separately, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky renewed his appeal for Ukraine to join NATO.

He said Ukraine's armed forces have gained extensive battlefield experience and would strengthen the alliance's overall defense capabilities.

Zelensky highlighted Ukraine's ability to strike deep inside Russia, including attacks on oil refineries and other energy infrastructure. He also said Ukrainian forces eliminate an average of 30,000 Russian troops each month.

"Frankly we take no pride in this," Zelensky said, adding that Ukraine did not seek the war but has been forced to fight it.

Zelensky is scheduled to meet Trump on Wednesday in Ankara.

NATO Says Alliance Continues to Deter Russia

As concerns grow in Europe over possible hybrid attacks involving cyber operations and other tactics, NATO officials said the alliance continues to deter any direct attack by Russia on member states.

A senior NATO official, speaking anonymously on the sidelines of the summit, acknowledged Russia's "reckless" actions, including airspace violations over Poland, Romania, and Estonia.

However, the official said NATO's collective defense measures have successfully prevented any attack against alliance members.

July 8, 2026 11:06 a.m. 262

#Global News #Donald Trump #Global Updates #World News

Myanmar Leader Visits Russia Amid Diplomatic Push and Legal Risks
Aug. 18, 2026 3:55 p.m.
Min Aung Hlaing visits Russia to strengthen Myanmar Russia Relations, while ICC legal risks continue to limit his international travel
Read More
Singapore Father Jailed 9 Months for Abusing Baby Daughter
Aug. 18, 2026 3:30 p.m.
A Singapore father was jailed for 9 months after abusing his infant daughter. The Child Abuse case involved repeated violence against the baby
Read More
Philippines Floods Hit Farmers as Monsoon Rains Continue
Aug. 18, 2026 3 p.m.
Monsoon floods in northern Philippines have damaged homes and crops, while low prices and transport problems are adding to farmers’ losses
Read More
Riyadh Police Apprehend Driver Following Stolen Vehicle Incident
Aug. 18, 2026 1:14 p.m.
In Riyadh, a driver was arrested for drifting in a stolen car, hitting a pedestrian, and fleeing before being taken into custody.
Read More
China Lowers Flags as Zhu Rongji Is Mourned Nationwide
Aug. 18, 2026 12:40 p.m.
China lowered flags at government buildings to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose reforms transformed the economy and left a complex legacy
Read More
Trump Cuts Korea Drills as Seoul Pushes for US-North Talks
Aug. 18, 2026 12:20 p.m.
South Korea hopes Trump’s decision to reduce joint military drills with Seoul will help restart US-North Korea talks and ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula
Read More
Heavy Rains Kill One in South Korea as Philippines Floods Worsen
Aug. 18, 2026 12:06 p.m.
Heavy monsoon rains killed one in South Korea and injured four, while floods in the Philippines disrupted traffic, schools and government services
Read More
Singapore Police Investigate Assault of Elderly Man After Child Pat
Aug. 18, 2026 11:04 a.m.
Singapore police are investigating a 40-year-old man accused of pushing a 73-year-old food stall owner after he patted a young girl’s head
Read More
67-Year-Old Man Dies in Jurong East Flat Fire, 50 Evacuated
Aug. 17, 2026 5:29 p.m.
A 67-year-old man died in a Jurong East flat fire. Around 50 residents were evacuated as SCDF firefighters brought the blaze under control
Read More